Electric Bike ReportOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4onePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryBionX: Electrify Your Bike

Bimodal Commuting

by Bike Shop Girl

Referencing a commuting woe article from a month ago about how I simply could not figure a safe way to commute my new route to work.  Yes.  I’ve read all the comments.  I would say I have more nerve than most folks when it comes to riding on the side of busy roads and there aren’t any cut through or neighborhoods to utilize.

Finally utilizing the limited bus transportation north of Charlotte, and co workers I figured out a pretty stress free commute.

Incoming during the weekdays:

Step #1 Ride bike 5 miles to downtown Davidson, NC.  (Leave house around 8:15)
Step #2 Ride bus 77X to work, cost $2 for express bus and takes roughly 30 minutes

Outgoing during the weekdays:

Step #1 Either ride 8 miles or catch a ride with coworker to bus stop
Step #2 Ride bus 77x to Davidson, NC.  Cost $1.75 and takes 45 minuts

Weekends:

Commute by bike.  This is the only option during the weekends and thankfully traffic is not nearly as busy on Satuday and Sunday,

12 Responses to “Bimodal Commuting”

1. Alyssa says:

Good to hear you were able to figure out a workable and stress-free route! Bimodal is my only option these days as well, since I live 30 miles from work and the only way in is either a major state route that’s usually clogged with traffic, or the interstate.

One of these days, probably over the weekend, I’m going to ride that state road all the way down… just to see what it’s like.

I’d kill to work somewhere locally, though.

2. MG says:

I gotta’ hand it to you both. Bimodal is better than all-car, all the time!

I’ve been fortunate to be able to build my life and job in such a way that my car can sit for weeks on end sometimes. In fact, at times it becomes a bit of a personal challenge to see how long I can go without starting it up.

Keep it up!!

3. brady says:

I’ve been a commutebybike lurker for over a year now and have appreciated the many thoughtful tips to help the commuting by bike community. Thank you!

Two years ago, I gave up the hassles of driving to work and paying for downtown parking for a bus ticket and running shoes. It was such a liberating experience dropping my perceived dependency to my car. Even more, I’ve appreciated the efficiency of incorporating fitness into a busy schedule while living a greener lifestyle. Last year, the Omaha Metro Area Transit system (M.A.T), put bike racks on their buses, allowing the same option for bicycle commuters. I blogged about it recently to encourage others to give Body By M.A.T. a try. Thanks for doing your part to do the same.

4. Paul in Minneapolis says:

Maybe I am extreme, but I turned down higher pay because of the road I would have to ride… In the end I chose a job with higher pay and better working conditions… In short I won’t live more than 10 miles from work or two miles from stores, as well they have to be bikeable.
    Life is to short to be in the rat race…

5. Anonymous says:

30 miles to work? I don’t get it. I’d sell my house before I did that. It’s not worth the stress. As stated above, life’s too short for that nonsense!

6. Ghost Rider says:

Easy, Arleigh…no one was questioning your “hardcoreness”! There were plenty of good (if not realistic/applicable for your purposes) suggestions in there.

I’m happy to hear that you’ve found a solution — multimodal works great for lots of people.

What’s the bike-hauling situation on the bus lines? And can the racks handle an Xtracycle?

7. brady says:

I’m not sure what it’s like in Charlotte, but Omaha’s MAT Bike and Ride webpage lists these details: racks can accommodate wheel size of 16 inches or larger. Only non-motorized, two-wheel bikes are allowed. The racks do not accommodate tandems, recumbent, mopeds, motorized bikes, trailers of any kind. NOTE: If a trailer can be folded to the size of a child’s stroller, it can be brought on board. Bikes ride along for free; first come first served. Racks can accommodate two bikes at any given time.

At this point, not too many are utilizing the racks, but it’s a great option to have.

8. Adam says:

I’m trimodal(!) commuting for now, so I know what it’s like to get accommodate biking and using transit. I’m just getting started at the moment, but want to increase my distance on-cycle and decrease my bus/train use.

The situation in Miami-Dade county isn’t great, but they do have some bike-and-ride initiatives in place. Almost all buses have racks (capacity of 2) on the front. Bicycles can be brought on the train, but only in the rear-most car.

Hang in there, maybe a safer way to get back-and-forth without the bus will open up!

9. Alyssa says:

30 mile commutes are typical around here, thanks to the high cost of living in the DC metro area that decreases enough the further out you go to make the area I live in affordable. Believe me, I am much happier living 30 miles from work in my city’s historic district than in any number of the housing development-infested bedroom communities you’ll find closer in toward DC. I’ll take a longer commute over living in that environment any time.

I’m also very fortunate, and grateful, that public transportation options are available for me not to be forced to drive all the way to work every day. I’m not complaining. :)

10. Arleigh says:

Alyssa,

Will you be attending the National Bike Summit in March?

11. Alyssa says:

I’d very much like to, but I don’t know yet if I’ll be able to. At the very least I’m going to try to make it to the sessions on Wednesday, if I can!

12. I am much happier living 30 miles from work in my city’s historic district than in any number of the housing development-infested bedroom communities you’ll find closer in toward DC. I’ll take a longer commute over living in that environment any time.