RideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleMiiR Bottles one4oneCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBionX: Electrify Your Bike

A fendered bike is a happy bike

by Richard Masoner

This is Levi Leipheimer’s carbon fiber, 18 lb custom built rain bike.

Levi Leipheimer's 18 lb rain bike -- fendered, disc brakes, SRAM Red

Road geometry, disc brakes, SRAM Red components, SRM wireless PowerMeter and
Fenders
, of course. Check out the multiple mount points for the fender stays front and rear.

Professional race cyclist Levi Leipheimer rides around the hills of Santa Rosa, California. It’s often warm enough to ride during the wet winter months, and many California cyclists — even recreational racing cyclists — opt to mount fenders on their bikes during the rainy season. Fenders are a good idea on any kind of bike in the rain.

16 Responses to “A fendered bike is a happy bike”

1. Paul in Minneapolis says:

All my bike have full fenders, but I need to add at the bottom of the front fender. Snow, slush and other gunk collects at the bottom bracket.
    Also, I’ll add how nice a full chain case is, it is in the same way as fenders to make the bike trully happy, that is if it is riden!

2. BiggerDummy says:

Good luck getting a chain case around Levi’s big ring – damn

Agh, I can’t believe I forgot to mention the disc brakes. Disc brakes on this bike, too.

4. Cycle16v says:

Cool! I just put fenders on my commuter bike this weekend too! I thought it was just us commuters that did dorky stuff like this.

Didn’t see what brand/model they are though. Anyone know? SKS?

5. DaveP says:

Can’t be a commuter bike… it’s not got lights! ;-)

6. NoTrail says:

My commuter doesn’t have fenders. But to be honest, I’m a bit of a fair-weather commuter. I’ve never enjoyed riding in the rain, so I just don’t bother. But I must say that I do like th ebike pictured above.

7. Harry says:

Is that a rear light under his seat? Sweet ride.

8. kb says:

I commute every day and ride a simple fuji crosstown. I removed the full fenders over 1 year ago due to all the twigs and road swag constantly running up into the tires/drivetrain.
    That bike is nice to look at but if Levi rode it daily…the fenders would be yanked! KB

9. Paul in Minneapolis says:

I ride about 360+ days a year or four to five thousand miles. All my bikes have fenders as it is not just rain or melting snow, but toxic stuff cars leak that I dont’ want on me. Also the rear fender allows a spot for one more tail light/reflector.
    Next time you’r in a auto parts store read the labels on brake fulid, coolant and even oils….. Then next time it rains look at the pavement as that toxic junk is more visable… One day soon I’ll start wearing a gas mask too….

10. Jon Grinder says:

Sounds like KB needs to move somewhere with paved roads. ;-)

11. Juan says:

My commuters have always had full fenders. Not really for the rain, but for the sprinklers. I have to leave early in the morning, and that’s the time the sprinkler systems through the parks and roadways have just shut down, so I’m always riding through water somewhere.

12. Cafn8 says:

My commute has a nice little shortcut through a park. A stream runs through the park and the bike path runs right along the stream. It’s a nice break from the rush hour traffic that I deal with the rest of the time. The problem is that bodies of water attract geese. Geese are not the cleanest creatures. Yes, I have fenders on my bike.

13. Adam says:

I’ve got full fenders on my commuter bike. I haven’t had a chance to test them out yet. We’re going through such a drought right now it’s not funny. I suppose that makes me a fair-weather rider, as I haven’t had any foul weather yet!

14. Couchrider says:

So who made this custom bike?

15. Cullen says:

Those fenders are sweet!

They look great on a road bike too…

16. Johnny says:

I love my fenders (Planet Bike Cascadia), but dang my rims get dirty and noisy with them on there in bad rain. It is nice to not have to take extra pants on mornings where only the ground is wet, though. :)