Banjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearMiiR Bottles one4oneXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBionX: Electrify Your BikeCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShinePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerElectric Bike ReportCommuter Bike Store Fuji Cambridge

Bicycle Exhaust that Plants Flowers

by Bike Shop Girl

Bloom Bubbles

The Bloom device is meant to be a subversive and inspirational tool for our concrete jungles. Similar to the tuft of a dandelion as the wind carries the seedling, we propose a way of dispersing seedlings with bubbles and bicycling. Seeds are co-mingled with a bubble mixture and upon pedaling to your destination , you release the floating seeds which land in cracks and crevices throughout the city streets. Over time, the seeds grow into flowers and plants to create a green “fringe” to our sidewalks and streets.

Learn more at Power to Pedal at Design 21

16 Responses to “Bicycle Exhaust that Plants Flowers”

1. JP says:

Sorry. can’t get behind this one.

First, the “green fringe” will destroy pavement, meaning sidewalks, paths, and roads will need to be repaired more often.

Second, to the bike rider they are “green ‘fringe’” to the bike rider, but they are weeds to the property owners along the route. It seems as if this would go against good will towards bike commuters.

2. Seconding JP says:

Seconding JP.

“subversive and inspirational” = stupid and idiotic

This is just another piece of junk that will soon end up in a landfill. Someone is trying to cash in on thoughtless suckers.

3. I agree with all, I think it still is nifty, maybe taking the idea to a different level to get kids on bikes. Maybe just bubbles would be best.

4. Nick Name says:

Would that work with ebola?

5. Kris says:

I doubt I would ever put the seeds in it, but at least someone could do it if they felt inclined. I’ll put my $.02 in and say that perhaps the target market should be kids.

6. Matt Soreco says:

It’s nothing a little Weed B Gon can’t kill.

7. Perry says:

Guerilla gardening is subversive, this is silly. Im all about greening up cities but this seems like such a misdirection of R&D. In agreement with all of the above posters.

8. willamtiger says:

Its glossy, green foliage is very robust and lasts well when cut.
    They need very careful handling as they will bruise easily.
    This flower comes in the various hues of white, cream, pink and red.
    Cut flowers last about 3 days if kept in water.
    It is most readily available from late winter to early spring and fall.
    It has a mild, sweet scent and is usually inexpensive to moderately expensive.
    The meaning of this flower is “excellence”, “beauty”, “perfected loveliness”, and “contentment”. can you guest what flower I refer to :))try?

9. mbt shoes says:

We sell mbt shoes! welcome to my shop

10. Jodi says:

Cool idea (except for the seed part). Just bubbles would be better.

11. JT says:

Just bubbles would be nice. Cities spend a lot of money and time and use toxic products to get rid of destructive weeds and plants that grow in the nooks and crannies of bike paths. What would be worse is if these seeds end up in natural habitats and destroy native vegetation.

12. William says:

O.K. I’m not a fan of this one considering my hard earned tax money is going to have to go towards repairing cracked roads because of flower power subversion…If you want to see your city get greener put together for a petition or something to add a new city park or something…

13. Susan says:

Dear friend,

How are you ?This is Susan,come from Hongen Sports Co.,LTD.Our company is a
    professional manufacturer and exporter engaged in the designing, development and production ofvarious kinds of sportswear.We have our own designers and we can make the cyclingjerseys as your design. Our website is http://www.hongensports.com .If you need any further information and help, please do not hesitate to tell me.I’ll try my best to help you . Sincerely hope cooperate with you successfully.Waiting for your good news.
    TEL:13632540964 / 13712117734 MSN:aimsusan@hotmail.com

With many thanks and best wishes,
    Susan

14. shop flowers says:

At first, I agreed, roots and cracks may result. But then, I realized, the cracks are already there. Why not fleurize the common areas? Bees need a leg up in the U.S.A. and Canada. We all could use the oxygen. And I’d prefer blooms to the ubiquitous ragweed, any day. I say, “ride on”!

15. Pretty good idea spreading the seeds but not to the cracks on the road, in the long run, it will ruin it.