Xtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleBlog Action DayBionX: Electrify Your BikePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldCommuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

Open Forum : DIY Projects

by Bike Shop Girl
Photo from anyMeta

Photo from anyMeta

Every so often I’ll be coming to you, the readers, to learn what exactly you want to covered..  Hopefully this will keep you all engaged and excited about the Commute By Bike content.  If you see the words “Open Forum” in the title, stop in and give your feedback!

The Open Forum this week is what type of do it yourself (DIY) projects you would like to see covered..  It could be as basic as changing a flat, setting up your in home mechanic stand or making your bike reflective.

The microphone is on and let us know what you want to learn!

Photo from anyMeta.net

28 Responses to “Open Forum : DIY Projects”

1. Wild Bill says:

Wheel truing.

2. Casey Anderson says:

How about a post on setting up and adjusting brakes — or maybe separate posts on each kind of brakes (cantilever, disc, etc.)?

3. Eric says:

How to make your own studded tires for winter.

4. Tinker says:

selecting, buying, installing disk brakes, mounting a disk to a wheel (disk compatible), swapping out a pair of badly worn (steel) wheels for newer, stronger, different sized Alloy wheels and what things you need to consider before you buy the wheels, replacing the front fork so you can replace the front wheel, replacing the headset so you can replace the front fork so you can replace the wheel, and how do you pick the headset, beforehand or do you just have to have it in your hand, already. (I need new wheels on a 71-73 Raleigh, I would like them to be stout wheels, sealed bearings, and fat tires will be mounted, Schwalbe Big Apples, 26×2.0-2.35″, which means the fork will have to go.)

And what is ‘O.L.D.’ as related to wheel width? And why can’t people use the phrase ONCE in the paragraph before they whip out the acronym, unless they are trying to make themselves appear smarter?

For that matter you could just go into a general discussion of all the important things for a wheel/tire upgrade, what the extent of the changes will be, and how you make decisions on all that.

Can you whip that out over night? Thanks, awfully!

5. I’d like to see people’s homemade work stands. I’ve already seen a few creative ones here in Memphis.

6. Kris says:

I’m interested in the bike stands too. For an educational and potentially fun posting, I’d like to see a discussion on creative ways that I can use old bike parts (i.e. “What to do with those old tubes besides throw them away”).

7. Anonymous says:

Here’s my DIY bikestand on Flickr

along with links

8. Andreas says:

I recently wrote about 10 DIY projects and it got a good response so I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

9. rob says:

Checking for chain wear and replacing chain.

Correctly adjusting derailleurs.

10. Matt says:

I’d like to see something on derailleurs (various kinds and how to best get them fine-tuned for optimal performance). With rare exception, I never feel like the mechanics in my local shops really go through the gears during a tune-up – they just make sure it hits the top and bottom OK.

11. Paul in Minneapolis says:

I love Do-it-yourslef projects. Like taking gallon milk jugs and making sheilds to keep hands/gloves dry when riding in cold rain…

Detailed bike maintenace/upgrade how-to, I vote YES

12. girl ugg says:

It is very interesting

13. I have an old steel bike that I’d like to restore to riding condition. The chain, cassette, shifters, etc. are all rusty. I would love to hear about how to treat these to remove the rust and restore their shine. Some of the parts have a chrome-like finish. Discussion of what paint to use over those would be great, too. Thanks!

14. BluesCat says:

After the holidays, I’m going to be working on touching up the paint on my 1986 Batavus Course. I’d be interested in hearing what others have done in this vein.

15. Eric says:

@BluesCat:

I’ve had success with auto touch up paint, after sanding down the area to be touched up.

16. Bill says:

I would like to see different options for do it yourself bike racks. With a family of 5 and a bike for each of us the garage is always a challenge to keep organized.

17. JJ says:

homemade bike stands, basic maintenance, advance bike maintenance, homemade cell(iphone)/gps mounts

18. Matt P says:

I’d like info on the regular stuff like brake and derailleur adjustment but I’d also like to see ideas for making a bike trailer and DIY panniers.

19. Matt says:

second the trailer

20. ac says:

How to reversibly uglify your bike, to discourage thieves.

21. BikeShopGirl says:

Time to get started then!

22. Sean says:

Tried posting this once before
    but it didn’t take
    so here’s a second go.

I made my own repair stand
    and you can see it on Flickr
    as well as links to similar ideas
    from other DIY’ers

If you do a google image search
    for “diy bike stand”
    mine should be the second result
    that comes up

23. BluesCat says:

Eric: My quandary is I’m trying to touch up my 1986 Batavus Course. The paint itself is not in bad shape, and I doubt I can find the Batavus period decals anywhere (I’ve tried). So I’m planning on sanding just those chipped areas which are down to the steel and have rusted. I’ll just clean up those areas where the chips haven’t gone through the base coat. I’ve heard that NAPA has a paint matching machine, so I’m thinking of going down there, seeing if they can match the pearl white, blue, and red; then I’ll see what I can do about brushing and stippling the paint on very thin so as to eliminate brush marks. Then put on about 3 coats of clear coat.

Anyhoo, hey, BikeShopGirl, are you gonna set up a particular area of the CommuteByBike site for the DIY projects?

24. BluesCat says:

Anyhow, hey, BikeShopGirl, are you gonna set up a particular area of the CommuteByBike site for the DIY projects?

25. BluesCat says:

Oops! Sorry for the double post!

26. Mac says:

I’ve noticed that my bikes require some special, unitasker tools for even basic maintenance. I’d be interested to hear how people get around this by using standard tools to do work so they don’t have to buy a tool they’re only going to use once every five years, having forgotten they bought it by the next time they need it and buying another. My local shops won’t rent out tools. :(

27. Joe Blow says:

Some people mentioned touch up paint. For touch ups i use nail polish, a color that matches my paint, then i use the clear coat ontop of the nail polish.

What i’d like to see is DIY rear fenders. I have a rack on the rear, and i do have double eyelets for a fender, but i don’t want the added weight of a rack and fender. The rack does a pretty good job with my truck bag on the back, but when that comes off, then so does the protection. So i’m just curious as to what other people have DIYed.