Xtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

Open Forum : Your Top Product of 2009

by Bike Shop Girl

Keeping on topic of Bike Commuting products, I would like to know what your top products of 2009 were and why.  It could be that jazzy front basket you put on the front of your bike or a new pair of cycling pants.

Let us know!

25 Responses to “Open Forum : Your Top Product of 2009”

1. Paul in Minneapolis says:

My biggest top products for bike commuting were winter clothes… Spending the extra money on Columbia jacket, snow pants and shirts. It’s nice getting to work when its -5f and be warm and mostly dry as the outdoor clothes are made to do that. My older jacket does not keep me as warm and is soaking wet when I get to work..

2. ethan says:

It’s kind of a toss up between the Bike Burrito (bikeburrito.com) and the Sackville Trunksack (rivbikes.com).

The Bike Burrito is great for carrying my “emergency roadside repair kit.” I have a spare tube, a multi tool and tire levers, and one of those CO2 thingers to re-inflate the tube. It’s classy and compact.

The Trunksack fit perfectly on the rear rack of my bike. It’s stylish and rugged. It’s got a loop on the back for a light. It fits a change of clothes easily and it’s easy to get into. It also has four metal loops on the top, so I can tie down lunch.

3. john in MD says:

I would have to nominate two Acorn bags (http://www.acornbags.com/): the roll bag and the boxy rando bag. The roll bag is perfect for carrying the slightly more than just the essentials under the Brooks saddle. The rando bag is great for a trip where you need to possible carry more clothes for varied weather or a tour.
    The third thing is a recent addition, Outlier Khakis (http://www.outlier.cc/). They are incredibly comfortable, fit great, look good (based on two comments), and so far are water resistant and dry very quickly. Pretty windproof also.

4. SmartWool socks. I first tried them out in January 2009, and I’m never going back to cotton. I do have a couple of the more “cycling/athletic” variants from them, which are nice during summer. Our winters are relatively mild (just wet), and I’m most often wearing the sort of “semi-dress” style socks during winter. They always keep my toes at a comfortable temperature, they stay dry feeling and they’re very resistant to picking up any kind of odor.

5. Mike says:

3 things:

My brompton folder – I commute to the commuter lot, fold my bike and stash it into the trunk of the Carpool car.

IXON IQ light – great optics with excellent run times

standard flat pedals – ride in any shoes, including winter boots for really cold weather.

6. tobyklatter says:

Aldi winter cycling gear cheap cheerful functional and warm!

7. Kfir says:

Hi,
    My Merino wool shirts!
    I just can’t wear something else.
    Me and my wife did a cycling trip from London to Barcelona for 4 months, and those shirts didn’t stink.
    I didn’t wash them too much, maybe once or twice, and the cycling went from July to November.
    They are brilliant.
    I have 3 Icebreaker 200 and one 320.
    I have 2 Marell T shirts.

The hood on the 320 is one of the best thing I have on me.
    My recommendations is to buy 1 shirt, and try it. You will not go back!

Regards,
    Kfir

8. Pants says:

Without a doubt my eggbeater pedals.

Close runners up: my showers pass club convertible pants and my niterider mi newt light!

9. Tim K says:

My Specialized skull cap and winter jacket. I have been biking in Mid-West snow storms and negative temps this winter with no problems.

10. April says:

Definitely as I flit between two rainsoaked cities my favorite unbranded bike gear of 2009 were those plastic (wish they were in a better material) seat covers – they kind of look like shower caps that keep my seat and my warming wool seat cover underneath nice and dry. And my DoYouVelo rain jacket with the built-in reflector armbands.

11. Jodycb says:

I guess my favorite thing is the monkeylectric lights I got as a gift last year. The really increase my visibility from the side and in the middle of nowhere they generally cause cars to slow to a crawl because they can’t figure out what I am.

Also, and it will sound silly, they’re just fun. I feel like I’m on a carnival ride.

12. So far in agreement with all those that mentioned wool and of course Monkeylectric!

13. Casey Anderson says:

I think the new LED lights, which are brighter, smaller, and less expensive than ever, should be right up there on the list.

Two stand out in particular:

(1) the MagicShine, which is shockingly bright (even if you don’t believe that it produces the claimed 900 lumens, it will melt your eyeballs) for the price (under $100).

(2) the latest generation of CygoLites — for example, the Milion 200, which is not only bright enough to see the road/trail at a pretty good clip but also incorporates the battery pack into the body of the light, so you don’t have to mess around with figuring out where and how to attach the battery. What’s more, these lights are not all heavy — you can attach one to your helmet and not even notice it.

14. Tinker says:

In the parts/components category: MKS Lambda Platform pedals. Quite wide, not at all slippery.

headlights: 2 watt LED Planet Bike light. Bright!

Taillights: Planet Bike Blinky Superflash taillight / Cateye TL-LD1000 LED Bicycle Tail and Safety Light. The Blinky is some what less visible from the side, than the Cateye, and the Cateye is visible in daylight, but there are reports of problems with it turning itself off going over bumps, as it wears in/out.

Complete (Utility) Bicycle: Torker Cargo T
    Bought this bike, this year. Not a Yuba Mundo, but it is a lot cheaper. (And a group of BMX kiddies approved of the look.)

Don’t know if the other are qualified (they may predate the start of last year) but they are the best I have seen of their type, and/or are good examples of what I want to encourage in the world of biking this year.

15. Randy Souza says:

I agree with Casey; the Magicshine MJ-808 is startlingly bright for the price. Definitely my #1 for the year.

16. jodycb says:

I just got some magicshine lights for christmas and they are face meltingly bright. I don’t have to know where the potholes are going to be ahead of time. I really like them except that the battery is not actually waterproof & I’m still trying to figure out the best approach to riding with them in crappy weather.

17. Sean says:

1) Surly Crosscheck – great all around commuter frame, ample clearance for fat tires and fenders, setup fixed, single or geared. The Swiss Army knife of bikes.

2) Wool garments – I picked up Icebreaker longsleeve tops, Swobo jersey, Endura longsleeve top and cycling cap, Smartwool and DeFeet socks. Only the Swobo jersey has been a disappointment as it has disintegrated.

3) Sealskinz Chillblocker socks – Polarfleece lined mid-calf height. Waterproof for cold and wet conditions. Simply awesome socks, often paired with a thin wool liner sock on the coldest days

4) Dinotte lights – picked up a headlamp and bar mount combo. Great burn times and brightness. Adding the taillight next.

5) Cactus Creek reflective cycling vest – it looks dorky but it’s worth it to be seen.

18. jlvota says:

My top product of 2009 is the Sackville Shopsack by an overwhelming margin. This has to be the best bag that I have had for commuting. The construction and design are absolutely flawless and well thought through.

If Rivendell doubled the price of them and mine got lost/damaged/stolen, I would buy two more of them tomorrow.

19. BluesCat says:

Ha! I bet I have the most unusual item for this open forum. Hands down, the BEST product for ME in 2009 was the Sun EZ Sport recumbent I bought in February.

This bike got me into serious bike commuting and much more recreational riding because of it’s comfort and practicality.

When some personal challenges calm somewhat, I’ll be looking at trying some touring on this bike in my home state of Arizona.

20. LoneRider says:

Smartwool zip neck jerseys. Under everything from a vest, windbreaker or winter jacket they are warm and even work well on their own if the temp is moderate, say in the 40′s. I got mine at a TjMaxx store for less than a third what it’d cost at a hiking or sports store. Sure, it has no back pockets, but I usually ride with a bag of some kind and wear a short sleeve cycling jersey underneath that has pockets.

an added advantage for commuting and daily riding is that the talk abotu wool not smelling is true. I asked several people if the jersey stunk after wearign it without washing for over two weeks of riding every day. Everyone said it smelled fresh as blazes.

21. I used 3M Dual Lock (super velcro) to stick an Inova LED microlight on my helmet. On flash mode, you can look at a car and be seen. The dual lock lets you adjust its pointing angle, and remove it if you want to use it as a flashlight to change a flat. The microlight weighs almost nothing, you don’t even notice it on the helmet. I wouldn’t use it as my main light, but it’s great as a supplementary attention-getter.

22. jdc says:

Out of all of the new products that our shop saw in 2009, there were a few impressive ones. I was impressed with the Blackburn Flea head and tail lights. So tiny and bright, they take up next to no handlebar room, especially on dropbar tops. I was happy to see Specialized come out with a 26″ version of their Houffalize cyclocross tires. I use a pair of these on one of my Tricrosses. They’re very fast due to the smooth running surface, but grippy in loose conditions due to the lugs along the upper side of the casing. A great commuter tire. Cateye also offered a new improved smaller bell with a fairly shrill ringtone and a great two stage trigger. Cool for 2010? SRAM is making nearly everything they offer in anodized colors!

23. Jesse Smith says:

I’ve been car-free since ’95, commuted in Arizona, PA, and Maine on ten different bikes.
    In no particular order-
    Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. They’re plastic covered aluminum, full-coverage with mud flaps extending well below the bottom bracket.
    Dinotte 200L headlight. Runs on rechargeable batteries, plenty bright, weather proof, easily removed, and Dinotte has the best customer service of any company I’ve dealt with.
    Arkel Tailrider rear trunk. Low-profile, rain cover.
    Cateye TL-LD1000 rail light. Runs on two AA batteries which last months. As bright as you want.
    Shimano Nexus Premium 8-speed rear hub. 8-speeds with just one cog, weather proof, allows you use use the more durable 1/8″ chain, and shift while standing still.

24. Jacob A says: