RideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearElectric Bike ReportCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Bag Shop -- Grocery, Shopping, Market PanniersBionX: Electrify Your BikeXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger Bags

Bike Commuter Goals for 2010

by Bike Shop Girl

Joe's Bike

1. Learn how to properly lock your bike

A requirement in major cities, but often an after thought in small towns or commuters that take their bicycle into buildings.  Practice locking your bike frame and both wheels.  Having a good lock in your arsenal helps, even if you don’t carry it with you daily.

2. Start a Commuter Challenge

There are many challenges out there, including consecutive days ridden, miles per commute, and so on..  Start your own or let us know what you would like and I’ll start one here!

3. Motivate a co-worker to commute by bike

Inspire someone you work with to ride a bike to work, offer to ride with them or possible drive together to work and ride together home.

4. Join your local advocacy group

Join, donate and be as active as possible.  The more advocacy we have out there, the more people we may see on bikes.

5.  Take photos to inspire others and yourself

Leave for your commute 10 minutes early so that you can slow down and enjoy the view.  When you see something worthy, stop and take a photo.

6.  Setup a commuter zone

Keep your bike and gear ready to go.  Practice plugging in your lights and pumping up your tires as soon as it is needed.  This way everything is ready when you are.

7. Practice preventative maintenance

Lube and clean your chain. Watch your tires and brakes for wear. Wipe down the frame and wheels.  These things will leave you a happier bike that won’t break down unexpectedly.

8. Invest in your gear

Good gear will last you, it won’t leave you stranded and it normally comes with a great warranty. Buy from companies you trust, not always the one with the best deal.

Photo credit : SSO on Flickr

15 Responses to “Bike Commuter Goals for 2010”

1. J. Ryan says:

I have started a commute by bike challenge of my own. It’s called the “210 in 2010 Challenge”. If I am to complete it I’ll have to commute to and from work 210 days in 2010. I’ve subtracted weekends, holidays, and vacation and sick time. I’ve also given myself 24 days to take off as I please.

Read more about it here: http://ryan.theschroderfamily.com/2009/12/210-in-2010-challenge.html

2. Marc says:

I think the last point was rather important to me – invest in your gear. I ride the cheapest bike that I could find and I have paid for it. With all the accessories, repairs, and new (or at least gently used) parts I’ve had to put into that bike, I could have gotten a new one!

So it pays to pay for a good machine up front.

3. Paul in Minneapolis says:

Great post!

I agree the invest in good gear is important. With good gear costing 3 to 5 times that of cheap junk, is not what it seems. Real gear will get used over and over and we get more than 10x our money out of it.
    Now that I have this in my head it is natural to look for the higher-end stuff. I did this with my winter commuting jacket and I’m so glad I did… It is soooo good to ride to work at -5f and I know I’m more comfertable then most motorists…

Side effect of bike commuting….
    I went to buy a new pair of snow pants. So, I ordered a pair using the size of the last… they were too big… I’m now down to a size medium… Almost back to where I was at 23, not bad for being 46…. HE HE..
    No diets, pills or BIG $$$ on gimiks…

4. Matt says:

The toughest thing for me is probably going to be forking out money for gear (especially clothes). We dropped down to one car last year, and I know riding is way cheaper than a second car, but finances are still kinda tight and it’s hard to convince myself that it’s OK to spend money on bike gear. I mean, in general I’m happy to… but it’s hard to rewire my brain into “spending $90 on something made by Pearl Izumi is good for my family.”

5. dukiebiddle says:

If by gear you mean bicycle components, then I agree. If by gear you mean specialized clothing… well… that really depends. I don’t view specialized clothing as at all a necessity. Some of my favorite clothes for cycling, even in winter, is [gasp] cotton. The expense at a LBS or REI is offensively outrageous. $20 80% Marino wool 18% Nylon 2% Lycra socks at REI have no advantage over $6 80% Marino wool 18% Nylon 2% Lycra socks at your local Army surplus store. Gear, when it comes to clothing, is 80% branding, and branding is 100% manipulation.

6. Kevin Love says:

My goals for 2010?

1. Keep riding to work every day. Since my employer expects me to show up every day, this has built-in reinforcement.

2. Keep up my membership in the Toronto Bike Union.

3. Write letters to the candidates standing for election to City Council in my ward. It is an election year in Toronto, the only time when politicians listen to the people.

7. Trent says:

I also decided that even in the wet winter months I’m going keep riding my bike to work. I’ve been riding my Montague folding bike for the past year & fell in love with biking. If it’s completely necessary to get out of the rain, or if the roads are too icy, at least I can fold up my bike & take it on the train. I tried driving my car (which has only been used for long-distance trips since I bought my bike) to work last week, & I showed up 15 minutes late & was stir crazy for the rest of the morning. No thanks, I’ll keep riding. Also the money I’ve invested in proper clothing & gear for biking is really nothing compared to car maintenance & filling up the tank.

8. J. Ryan says:

In regards to item 6, where is y’alls “commuter zone”? The garage, the dining room, the spare bedroom? I’m still trying to figure this all out as I’m new to commuting by bike.

9. Matt says:

Good question J. Ryan – I’ve been working that out myself.

I put out all of my clothes and things right next to the door before I go to bed. However, this tends to make things clutter eventually (as I decide not to wear something, put things there again when I come home, etc) so I’m purchasing an inexpensive wardrobe/shelving type cabinet from Home Depot/Lowes to put in my garage (where my bikes are). Hopefully this will help keep things organized and ready to go!

10. J. Ryan says:

Matt, do you keep all your riding cloths on that shelf? Or just ones that you’re planning on using in the next day or two?

11. Matt says:

@ J Ryan –

I don’t know yet since I haven’t done it. What I’m imagining is that I’ll still keep my base layers in my drawer, but keep all the additional layers there.

12. Christian says:

I like this so much.
    Thanks for posting.

13. I will bookmark your blog and have my kids check up here frequently. I’m very certain they will understand lots of new stuff here than anybody else.

14. Great list of tips! I was able to motivate a co worker of mine to commute by bike in the morning and its really nice cause now I have someone to ride with to work! (: