Commuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityBionX: Electrify Your BikeRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerElectric Bike ReportXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesMiiR Bottles one4oneBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineOrtlieb Bike Bags & Panniers

Road I.D for Commuters

by Bike Shop Girl

In the Charlotte, NC area there has been a large increase of car and bike accidents..  While my rant for this topic will be held off for another topic, I started to fear for not only my safety but many hard questions came to mind.
What would happen if I was in the middle of no where and knocked unconscious?
Would my family know I took the long way home on my commute?
How would someone get a hold of them?

Hello Road ID, It is Nice to Wear You

A Road ID will not keep you safe, but I can say I feel about better or more at peace when I’m wearing it out on the road.  I leave mine on as I commute and bike a couple times a day.  Even while running I feel more confident about the situation that I’m putting myself in.

Decisions

Ordering the Road ID required more decisions than I have made in the past two weeks combined.

Wrist ID Sport – This is the original and what we normally think of when we think of Road ID.  It is a nylon velcro strap that is available in 6 colors.  The Wrist ID Sport is what I decided to go with for every day use.  I wear it non-stop and hand wash it in the shower at night.  It doesn’t smell, nor is it horribly dirty after a month of solid use…  This little guy is $19.99 and comes in 3 sizes.

Wrist ID Elite – “The Sexiest ID” as it is named on RoadID.com.  The band is much like a Livestrong bracelet, with a watch buckle on the back.  It is sleek and sexy, available in 9 colors.  Many of my coworkers have purchased this style and really enjoy it, the only reason I went with the other style is I strongly like the silicone feel of those bracelets.  $29.99 and fully adjustable to fit your wrist.

There is also the Shoe ID, FIXX ID (dog-tag style), Ankle ID and Shoe Pouch ID.

Interactive vs Original

There are two different ways to put your information on the ID.  The original is like a dog tag, with your name, contact numbers and any health concerns you want to list.  The interactive requires someone to call in with your Road ID Serial number.  As great as the interactive sounds, I often ride in the country where the “good ole boys” normally don’t have cell phones or 3G iPads in their trucks.

Overall Feelings

Looking back I may end up ordering a FIXX ID, mainly because I don’t think many people are trained to look for a bracelet on a cyclist or runner.  During the winter I wear long sleeves that will cover up the bracelet and not make it so obvious..  For the cost, it won’t solve the worlds problems or keep me any safer but it will help if I need it.

It comes down to Peace of Mind, for me it is worth it.

This product was given to me at no charge for reviewing.  I was not paid or bribed to give this review and it will have my honest opinion or thoughts through out.

Join the conversation on Twitter @BikeShopGirlcom.

13 Responses to “Road I.D for Commuters”

1. Andy says:

I’ve thought about these before, but I realized that I never go anywhere without a wallet with ID cards anyway. I used to use a medical ID bracelet because I’m a type 1 diabetic, but I see little point to it now because the only time I’m a long way from help is while camping, and I never camp alone.

2. Tom says:

I highly recommend the FIXX ID, I have had one for years now. I wear it all the time. That is the main reason I went with the FIXX ID over the bracelet. I knew that I would forget to put the bracelet on and realize it half way through a run or a commute. With the FIXX ID I don’t even need to think about it.

3. Ben says:

I’ve used the Fixx ID and the Wrist ID. Gotta say I like the Fixx ID more. It stays out of the way under my shirt. Also, I can wear it all day without strange looks from my co-workers.

The Wrist ID was ok. I just wasn’t used to the feel of a bracelet around my wrist. I found it a little uncomfortable. But I forget that I’m even wearing the Fixx ID.

Best part is it makes my wife feel better. That’s more than worth the cost.

4. Laura says:

I went with the Road ID Ankle strap for a number of reasons. It doubles as a timing chip strap for triathlons. I already wear a watch on my wrist and didn’t want any other junk there. I am allergic to metals (stainless steel gives me hives) so the FIXX Id would not work for me.

A note for Andy – in an accident, you could become *separated* from your wallet (or cell phone) heaven forbid.

Bottom line – ALWAYS wear some kind of ID. Plenty of options out there. Find one and wear it.

5. Joe says:

I’ve had my Wrist ID Sport for 3 years now. It’s held up wonderfully. Anyone who rides alone, even if it’s rare, needs to wear some type of Road ID. A peace of mind for both rider and loved ones.

6. Paul in Minneapolis says:

Last April as I was commuting to work I was hit by a car.. Hit and run, of course.
    The last I remember I was about 300 feet from an intersecton and the light was green. Aout 20 minutes later, I was standing on the side walk holding something.. I had complete amnesia. Luckly it after a few minutes things slowly started returning to me.

From the bent rear rim and my helmet mirror laying about 10 feet past the stop line, it was obvious what happened, but that came hours later.. My helmet was not damaged, but from the trama. During that 20 minutes I was lucky that I was not robbed, but a cheap wrist band would still be with me…

7. David says:

I like RoadID’s but think the commercials that play every 10 mins on VS Cycling are annoying. I bought one for myself and two as gifts for friends. Speaking of, I lost mine. I don’t know where it is. Should start looking.

8. josh says:

Unless you have some serious medical allergy or something, I’m with Alex; my drivers license will tell who I am. Even if someone stole my wallet while I was unconscious, the paramedics would know what to do with me with or without ID; it just might take a little longer for my family to be informed. So what?

9. Josh/Alex,

For a bit of piece of mind I don’t mind spending $20 on a bracelet. I have no allergies, but would like my relatives to be the first notified if an ambulance or helicopter is coming for me.

Thanks everyone for their feedback!

10. PdxRunner says:

I have 3 Road ID. I thought I lost mine and at the same time the name of my street changed, of course found the old one when the new ones arrived. The old and one of the new are the classic style and one of the new is the wrist elite. I do like the elite better, more comfortable and easier to clean.

I added the line, IMPLIED HIPA RELEASE.

The HIPA laws restricting release of information is an excellent reason to have a road ID. If you are found without ID, the authorities are limited in the information they can release.

11. Roger says:

A waste of money, just carry your wallet or make your own. EMS and police know where to look for ID. If you are a bike commuter you will have some type of system to carry tools or essentials. I can see the advantage of this system for road racers who need to pack really reall light, but this is just another thing to throw your money away on. you could probably have a military style dog tag made at any army surplus store too, and that’s be alot cheaper, you can wear it around your neck.
    -R

12. rodney says:

@ Roger- not really a waste. I have the interactive version and can update my information. Things like where I might be staying while on vacation or out of town. Even when I’m not riding my bike.

As far as the EMS replies of others – EMS will not search for ID in your bag or bike. Road ID is good except one point that was brought up- if you are in serious trauma, EMS is not afforded the time to look up your interactive information.

At best, my ICE (in case of emergency) contact is listed on my ID. I have a stat placard on my helmet for blood type, medical ailments, etc. No one tool is perfect.

Ride Big, Ride On!

13. R Ward says:

EMTs do look for wrist band IDs, and most regions train them to do so. They also will find an ankle ID while checking your pulse there, assuming they aren’t too busy keeping you stable to worry with the required second pulse measurement.

The EMTs I’ve spoken to say your dogtag will be checked eventually, but probably not right away, so if you care about having some tidbit of information available immediately, you might not want to go with a dogtag.