Commuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryMiiR Bottles one4oneOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBionX: Electrify Your BikeElectric Bike ReportRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to Shine

The Very Best Bike Locks

by Jamie Carruthers

Jamie CarruthersJamie Carruthers recently launched Lock Your Bike, a site dedicated to securely locking your bike to help ensure your trusted steed is where you left it. Lock Your Bike covers bike theft news, reviews of the best bike locks and a guide to the best methods of locking your bicycle.

As cycling becomes more and more popular in urban areas, in part due to improvements to cycling infrastructure such as the rapid expansion of bike lanes in NYC, bike crime is also seeing an increase. London recently saw a 71% rise in reported bike theft which is made up of a mixture of opportunity thefts (poorly locked bikes) and organized gangs with bike spotters, look outs and industrial tools.

If you want to keep your bike, and I’m pretty sure you do, you firstly need two good locks. You will need a primary lock for securing your frame and back wheel, and a secondary lock for securing the frame and front wheel. Both locks should also lock to a bike stand or other suitable piece of street furniture. Any less than two locks and you become a much easier target.

A slightly depressing realization is that no lock is unbreakable. If a thief takes a fancy to your bike, they can get it given they have the tools and knowledge to break your locks, and the time.

You will hear many who cite the rule of spending 10-20% of the value of your cycle on locks. I disagree with this and suggest you spend as much as you can afford. Sometimes a rust-bucket bike worth $150 can mean as much to someone as a $1,500 road bike does to another–and you can cut through some $15 locks with scissors.

Good locks and a good locking technique do two things; provide a visual deterrent, and resist attempts to break or cut through them.

Primary Locks

In tests, D locks (also known as U locks) came out best against a whole host of tools. Here are the three very best:

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini

Fahgettaboudit MiniIf the double deadbolt mechanism and ridiculously thick 18mm shackle made of hardened steel isn’t enough to deter a thief, nothing will. The lock is small, making it tricky to fit your wheel, frame and an item of street furniture in, but the lack of excess space makes it tough for a would-be thief to try a leverage attack or squeeze a bottle jack in. It is heavy, with a weight of approx. 1.9kg or 4.2lbs and is best transported in a bag.
Price: approx. $90

Abus Granit Extreme 59

Abus Granit Extreme 59Touted by the manufacturer as ‘probably the toughest D lock money can buy’–it’s certainly the most expensive I could find. All good locks are heavy, but this tips the scales at approximately 3kg or 6.6lbs! The shackle is slimmer than the Fahgettaboudit (16mm vs. 18mm) but performed just as well in the tests. It is also larger than the Fahgettaboudit, meaning more room for attaching bike to street feature, but the weight of this thing would make Mr. T reluctant to carry it around. This is meant for the meanest streets out there.
Price: approx. $210

Kryptonite New York 3000 STD

Kryptonite New York 3000 STDAnother Kryptonite lock makes the cut, and this time the big brother of the Fahgettaboudit. According to Kryptonite, this lock isn’t as strong as the Fahgettaboudit, rated as 11 out of 15 on their own scale of strength, vs. the Fahg’s 12 rating. What this means in real terms, I am unsure. And I doubt it makes a huge difference. This is my lock of choice because of the strength, the double bolt mechanism, the size (making it easy to lock my bike to things) and the mean looking yellow crossbar.
Price: approx. $60

These locks all come with anti-theft protection from the manufacturer, where they will give you an impressive amount of dollars should your lock be compromised. I can’t help but be cynical about this having read through the terms and conditions, and personally wouldn’t see this as any more than a marketing ploy.

Such heavy locks really need to be lugged around in a bag, as the brackets are often inadequate causing rattling. You really only need to carry these beasts with you if you are to be leaving your bike for any length of time.

Secondary Lock

Your secondary lock (yes, remember you need two!) can be lighter and used for those short coffee breaks or where you can keep an eye on it.

For my secondary lock, I use the:

Kryptonite Evolution Mini

Kryptonite Evolution MiniThis lock is awesome. A favorite among the bike messengers and cool kids, it fits easily in to the back pocket or through a belt loop and with a weight of just 0.9kg (approx. 2lbs) is much more portable than the heavy locks mentioned above. This lock has a single bolt mechanism and a 13mm shackle with a rating of 9 out of 15 on Kryptonite’s scale. It isn’t as strong as the beasts above, but it isn’t meant to be. This lock does its job perfectly.
Price: approx. $50

Couple your locks with a robust locking technique and hopefully the thieves will go for a less secure bike, and I see quite a few of these everyday. See Lock Your Bike’s guide on how to lock a bike for more.

60 Responses to “The Very Best Bike Locks”

1. thomas says:

Thanks for the rundown. I want to remind people that there’s another way to protect your bike – lock it up in public less often and for shorter periods of time by planning ahead before taking trips. Also, look into the possibility of bringing your bike inside at work and school.

2. Tucson Velo says:

What is your take on using a heavy duty chain and a u-lock?

I always thought since different tools are required to open each, that it would be even more secure.

3. Kevin Love says:

For a secondary lock, a rear wheel lock such as the AXA Defender is a much better choice. Virtually every bicycle in Denmark and The Netherlands is equipped with one.

One came as factory standard equipment on my Pashley. Very convenient. I use it when I can keep an eye on my bicycle. That and a Kryptonite U-lock is my “going shopping” locking solution.

For details, see:

4. Hi Jamie -
    Good reviews & advice. I used to have lockyourbike.co.uk registered for my blog at http://lockyourbike.wordpress.com/ I’m not posting there much at all now, so I let the domain go – available for £8.99+VAT from easily if you want it.
    Good luck!
    Karl.

5. Having two types of locks is often given as advice, as it would require two different types of tools.

The problem is that portable angle grinders are a lot more common now, and they would make quick work of a chain or cable.

U-locks offer the best resistance to a range of tools, including angle grinders (they can be cut, but generally hold out a lot longer) and the top U-locks can’t be bolt-cropped.

That is why I recommended two U-locks rather than two different types!

6. Hi Karl, thanks for the heads up! I have bought the domain.

7. John says:

Hi,

I live in the UK and use a Kryptonite evolution short pattern and an Abbus bracelet type lock on my bike.
    I jambed the evolution lock (my fault), so as a matter of interest took it to the work shop to see how hard it was to break open – I could not open it.
    I replaced it the next day for another and use it on my GT Tanseo Ultra everyday – I still have the bike to date!

8. Min Choi says:

I had a really old beat up walmarty beater bike locked up in a fairly public space with the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini, and the thieves got to it without any problems. I also live in New York (Queens). But I agree with Thomas, if you need to leave your bike outside keep it to a minimum amount of time especially in New York.

9. Sorry to hear you lost your bike Min Choi. Did they leave the lock or take it with them?

Was there any indication of the tools they used? I would imagine they had an angle grinder.

10. Angle grinders cut through locks very quickly. I wonder if there isn’t a way to engineer the shackles so that the grinder wheels would tend to disintegrate when cutting through them, maybe a core of a different material, or else a design which causes the wheel to vibrate uncontrollably.

11. Rob Nelson says:

We sell Lockstraps on our site. Their design is excellent and I believe a good value. We get lots of praise for bikes and motorcycles being saved as thieves tried to get them yet failed after working on the Lockstrap. The heat treated 8 braided interior cables combined with the strapping materials offer a belt ande suspenders strategy requiring the thieves to have a good tool chest at hand and lots of time to foil the design and the two combination locks on either end. The strapping can embrace multiple bikes or other toys, adding more value.

12. BluesCat says:

The only bike I park and lock is an older Specialized Hardrock which is my grocery-getter. I leave it at one of the racks at a shopping center where I know the store greeter/security guard and they are aware of it sitting out there.

Since they are watching it, I could probably get away with not even locking it, but I have a heavy cable/padlock combination that I use and I also strip the computer, lights and even the quick-release saddle off of it when I leave it.

My other bikes are either secured in a conference room at work or are in the family room at home.

13. Bicyclist says:

Axa Defender locks and plug-in cables and chains are available in the United States through Cantitoe Road: http://www.cantitoeroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=103

14. Euan says:

Locking through the frame as well as the rear wheel is redundant. The late Sheldon explains:

“People tend to buy the big clunky U-locks because they don’t know how to use them properly. A U-lock should go around the rear rim and tire, somewhere inside the rear triangle of the frame. There is no need to loop it around the seat tube as well, because the wheel cannot be pulled through the rear triangle.

Some will object that felons might cut the rear rim and tire to remove the lock. Believe me, this just doesn’t happen in the real world. First, this would be a lot of work to steal a frame without a useable rear wheel, the most expensive part of a bike, after the frame. Second, cutting the rear rim is much harder than you might think. Since the rim is under substantial compression due to the tension on the spokes, it would pinch a hacksaw blade tight as soon as it cut partway through. Then there are the wire beads of the tire, also difficult to cut.”

15. Min Choi says:

@Jamie Carruthers there was nothing left of the lock at all, no trace. i’m not too upset about bike, since it was a beat up beater… i was a bit more surprised they targeted it. and I’m more flabergasted about the lock, i guess since i used such a highend lock, the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini they figured the bike must’ve had some value.

16. Richard Lee says:

Bought a couple of Knog’s “Kabana” bike locks based on Knog’s marketing claim that “their Fiber Armor helps deter Bolt Cutter attacks”. Decided to use a cheap pair of Chinee bolt cutters to put one of the Knog locks to a test. Boy was I surprised, the Knog “fiber armor” cut like HOT Butter in July, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9r9kU7MUY . While the colors are cool, the silicone does feel nice and squishy, the theft deterrence of this lock is minimal.

Moral of the story – Buyer Beware when it comes to securing bikes with cable locks.

17. Dr HF says:

I have been looking for locks to secure my premium bike. Buyers beware of Axa Defender locks. They can be opened easily & extremely fast with a nail cutter. Not worth it. 2 U locks & 1 cable lock seem to be a good choice? Please share your experience. Plus should you recommend a lock, check if it can’t be opened easily on the net. Thanks.

18. John says:

Another great trick is to have the crappiest bike you have ever seen. I dont even have to lock my bike up anymore because no one wants it.

19. S Suzuki says:

I’ve been thinking of buying a bike and have been looking at bikes parked out on the streets to see how they are locked. Based o what I’ve seen, many bikes had the U lock and a cable on, but after reading this website, my understanding has changed; I will use two U locks.

Another thing I have been curious about is the registration system with the police. I come from Japan, probably similar to the UK, where you can register your bike with the national police system and if it gets stolen and turns up in a different part of the country, the police can let you know (you need to pick it up yourself). Not all stolen bikes are probably recovered, but I found it pretty efficient. I wonder if there is such system like that in the US. The NYPD do comment that on their website, but do not say how you can actually register nor do other bike related organizations in NYC. Is it because such registration is just uncommon practice in the United States?

I would love to hear someone’s thought on this.

20. S Suzuki says:

I have been curious the registration system with the police. I come from Japan, probably similar to the UK, where you can register your bike with the national police system and if it gets stolen and turns up in a different part of the country, the police can let you know (you need to pick it up yourself). Not all stolen bikes are probably recovered, but I found it pretty efficient. I wonder if there is such system like that in the US. The NYPD do comment that on their website, but do not say how you can actually register nor do other bike related organizations in NYC. Is it because such registration is just uncommon practice in the United States?

I would love to hear someone’s thought on this.

21. Deb says:

I have been riding my Bike Friday to work everyday, carrying it inside to the lab where I work evenings. Every once in a while security would harass me..I usually carried the bike in, and I never argued with them.
    The manager of the lab has no problem with me bringing the bike in and despite the multitude of carts, some from outside vendors, I’ve been told that the bike is not allowed because it is a bike. I was told that if I apologized to security maybe i would be able to bring the bike in folded up. I thought I would take a humble step and apologize, but I don’t feel I have anything to apologize for…If I were wheeling it in on two cart-like wheels, all would be well. This tells me that the bike is visually offensive.
    I recently biked in Scotland and although the roads were less conducive to bicycling, the people respected the bicyclists as fellow commuters and I actually found the environment to be more conducive. I was given the excuse “what if everyone wanted to bring their bike in.” I think everyone who wants to bike to work is bringing their bike in, meaning only me. An easy solution is for me to ride my old beater bike to work. It just seems so unnecessary and the product of a prejudiced environment that we tolerate.

22. justin says:

Many of these D or U locks with the cylinder type lock (the key is tube shaped) can be opened easily with a plastic ink pen barrel. Check youtube before you make a buying decision.

I wish I had a better solution, but I don’t.

Happy cycling

23. GA2G says:

^^^^^ That information above (from justin) is many years out of date, and really no-one should pay any attention to it, as Kryptonite solved that issue with new mechanisms.

A large resource for cycle locks and locking methods, and including newly invented ways of locking is on LFGSS.com (Locks That Work thread) http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

24. dane says:

I had a kryptonite ulock of some kind on my ladies bike and she lost the key. In 08 I gave it three good licks with a hammer on the straight bar….pop. couldn’t cut th metal period but hitting that straight bar was cake.

Kryptonite cable combo lock was pried with something like a screw driver. Bike stolen. This has happened twice. No more combo cables for me…

So ulock was easy and cablecombo was easy….? I don’t know what to do now :-\

25. A New Bike says:

I use the Sheldon method and have had good success with it. Stronger, thicker wheels will make it more difficult to cut through them. I don’t know how I’d live in a big city having to carry two unlocks around all the time.

26. Jake invic says:

I’ve thought of the same thing and then thought that these lock manufacturers must have already thought of this…right? I mean a U lock witha tungsten core or glass…something that attacks a grinder wheel and it would be alost un breakable.

27. Jake invic says:

personaly, I use an OnGuard Bulldog mini and park it in very visible areas and not for long periods. Regarding the lock, I really like it, similar to the Evo mini but slightly bigger and features the double bolt mechanism as opposed to a single/bent foot. Its also cheaper. In my neck of the woods its often parts that are stripped and no lock stops that but then we don’t have pros like NY with portable drills/grinders…not yet.

28. A New Bike says:

I love the idea of a lock rundown on what works best. But. It doesn’t look like the reviewer actually used any of these locks. Anytime our reviews include “according to the manufacturer” we’re walking a pretty dangerous line of just doing free PR.

29. Claire says:

Would love to but Transit does not allow bikes on the sky train at rush hour

30. Anonymoose says:

A nice list of great bike locks that are rated and links of where to acquire them!

Thanks,

Anonymoose

31. Sal Cameli says:

I usually use 3 locks.

a 12 Rated Kryptonite U Lock, An ABUS steel-o-flex x-plus 1050 and this really cool new lock that locks your frame and both wheels at the same time.

It’s called a TiGr (pronounced tie grrr) Lock

Check it out at TiGr Lock dot com, Best part it weighs 2LBS!

Sal

32. Julian says:

Hi.

Some very good reviews and comments, which I have taken note of.

My Specialized Epic which stood me at £2000 was stolen in manchester city centre (england) yesterday. I left it locked up with a cable clock and a kryptonite flex lock. With it being in the centre with plenty of shoppers and CCTV, 2 offenders were spotted on CCTV (conveniently the zoom quality was poor) 6 minutes after I left it. I was absolutley horrified to see it gone and the lock in pieces (bolt cutters) and no one saw a thing… Gutted cause i have taken order of a lapierre zesty and was due to sell the epic next week. My bike insurance just lapsed and light in the pocket as a result. I definately looking at getting the Kryptonite M18 new york lock. Plus following the advice of getting a 2nd lock. First time i had taken the bike into the city. Never again!

33. paddymyke says:

Orange Schwinn Super Sport from 1972 stolen today from 47th St. between 6th and 7th Ave.
    Had two locks on it. A Kryptonite messenger lock and chain and a cable lock. They cut through them both and left the lock in tact. Chain, lock and cut link were found at scene.
    Had that bike since I was in 6th or 7th grade. So long now I’m not sure. Almost 40 years. Breaks my heart but I knew it was a possibility but rather than have it collecting dust I used it every day. It was locked on scaffolding. Most ironic thing is that NYPD have terrorist check point for trucks going into Times Sq. right there where I left the bike. In other words cops are within 10 to 20 yards of this spot every day all freakin day. Crime right under their noses. Unbelievable.
    If anyone gets wiff of this bike you can reach me at paddymyke@comcast.net.

34. Brendan Kiely says:

The article helped ma to find a good bike lock. Thanks to the author. I finally decided to get a double loop security cable, the Kryptonite KryptoFlex.

It also has a great price tag.

More details at: http://best-gear.org/kryptonite-kryptoflex-38-x-7-double-loop-security-cable-720018210610-1007/

35. Gavin O'Keeffe says:

Hi just had bike stolen with a Kryptonite lock and cables. Found a video on youtube of a krytonite New York lock being opend with a biro in about 5 seconds!!!!

36. Joe says:

I don’t get how everyone’s talking about the strength of the chain/bar/etc. when it’s always the latching mechanism that stinks. Just put the style of lock into Google along with “exploit” or “pick”.

If you wanted to be a pain to someone cutting through a bike lock, coat the chains with something annoying like hard epoxy. Too bad that a torch would make quick work of it, though! ;) Ceramics wouldn’t be much better if at all, sadly. If you can afford it, make/coat the (secure mechanism) lock with titanium, but that would cost more than a few bikes! The best solution may be to just not leave your bike in a place where bikes get stolen. Yeah, good luck in cities like London or Dallas with that one.

37. ac says:

Locks are a “fun challenge” to anyone determined to break them.

You really need multi-layer security:

1) lock that takes some time to break
    2) a hidden and protected gsm+gps+camera system where optical fibers carry image from different parts of the bike to the camera, so anyone approaching the bike from any direction will get photo taken and immediately sent over the cellular network
    3) extremely loud noise and spread spectrum modulated communication to nearest police vehicle if a gsm or gps jammer is detected.
    4) gsm+gps tracking
    5) battery & electric bike motor system that is code protected and self-destructs if not activated properly by the unlock system described below.

The system would deactivate only if approached by owner with a cellphone sending a signal code that the it recognizes. This code would change every time you lock the bike, transferred by wire when locked and wireless when you approach it.

38. Jodong says:

Is there good locks (like Kryptonite) with alarms in them? When lock is being tempered, alarm goes off and it would yell like crazy

39. Andrew de Andrade says:

What amazes me is that no one has thought to embed some sort of compressed container in the middle of the U bars that is filled with permanent ink or a lubricant that would render a grinder or cutter far less efficient.

40. BuenaGente says:

Abus has a very neat looking lock that recently hit the market. U-40 this lock is solid! & affordable compared to Krypto mini. Made with 16mm round special hardened steel shackle!!!

Another great read is http://www.Urbanvelo.org great website.

Always remember the lock is only as good to what is locked to!

41. nell says:

i recently purchased a folding bike and would like to know what type of lock is more suitable for folding bikes?

42. OHM Cycles says:

We have just launched a sweepstakes to win an Abus Granit Bordo 6500 X-Plus folding bike lock, running until November 26, if anyone is interested in entering: http://www.facebook.com/ohmcycles/app_143103275748075

It is Abus’s best folding bike lock.

More info here: http://ohmcycles.com/news/

43. Antman says:

Bike Stolen Under Security Cameras @ a Green with Copper colored forks 9/21/2012 In Sacramento.I the bike rack area for 25 Minutes. Thieves Got an On Guard U Lock and Cable like it was *No Challenge* Sacramento County Sheriff will probably not even invetigate it. Imagine that! It’s no wonder Sacramento has a high bike theft rate. Walmart would not even release the tapes unless the sheriff came to get them. Reality Do not leave it if you like it.
    If they want it they will get it!
    You may slow them down but you will not stop them!
    Locks only keep out honest people.

44. Jim says:

Are you sure a grinder will get thru case hardened steel of a thick chain, I have used chains and thick cables for all my bikes, my last bike was ripped off with a cable, but that was because it wasn’t locked to anything, but the cable was wrapped around the tires, so the thieves had to carry the damn out, which they did,

45. Jim says:

that’s my solution as well, I ride a 25 year old Peugoet as my grocery and things getting complete with baskets etc. but my good mountain bikes stay inside, if you are really serious about these damn thieves, get a microchip and put it under the seat, if you’ve got like a 3 or 4000 bike you have to park, then when the damn thieves steal the bike, track em down on gps, bring the cops with you and get your bike back, jc

46. Lorry says:

TIGR lock

light, titanium strong, no extra bracket required to carry it on the bike.

good videos on the website of an angle grinder at work on the lock. eventually works (minutes) but enough sparks to look like a fireworks show.

i use one on both of my bikes

Lorry

47. Rane says:

Men’s Journal tested the TiGr and said it was the easiest lock to break.

“was also the only lock to fall victim to the bolt cutters.”

48. Master Lock says:

Hey you should try out military grade padlocks from commando lock. Since I discovered commando padlocks I have stopped using master lock as a whole. These are prime!

49. David says:

I commute to work almost every day in Atlanta. I use a big, honking Abus motorcycle lock (yes, I ride a motorcycle, too). It’s really, really heavy, so I leave it locked to the railing in the parking lot where I leave my bike. Nobody’s going to defeat that thing.

50. Mo says:

Locked online on youtube these f ups get into all the locks, the chain and cables are left intact. They need to make the locks as completely unresetable and or no pins per se so they can’t be picked.

51. Gabe says:

I wonder the same thing. Seems like dumping a pile of industrial grade diamond particles into the molten steel that makes up the shackle would do the trick.

52. Cailean says:

The problem with a lock like the AXA Defender is that it doesn’t work with aluminum-frame bicycles; the thief can simply pick up the bicycle and walk off with it, then finish removing the lock in a more private location.

53. Olaf says:

Cailean, you’re right about the possibility of walking away with a bike with only a Axa Defender. We’re a reseller of the Axa Defenders so we’re not completely objective. But in Holland almost every bike is locked with a ring lock like the Defender. It’s an easy and safe way to lock your, when you leave your bike for a short time, like when you’re shopping. No more filthy hands every now and then. When leaving your bike for a while, you can add a chain or cable to the Defender to connect your bike to something. It all works with only one key, so it’s pretty easy!

54. BillyH says:

I am currently using the Kryptonite New York Noose (cost $65 and is rated 9 out of 10 on their site)… along with Kryptonite 4 foot cable ($9) and also a Bully Alarm U-Lock with Pager ($97). If anybody touches my u-lock, the alarm rings +110db and my pager immediately goes off. The pager has a half mile range distance. It is real good when I connect the noose with the alarm u-lock as well so if anybody touches the noose, it will ring. I still prefer to connect each lock to different strong stationary object. I just wish my gym had a somewhat decent bike rack.

55. John M. Hammer says:

I know this reply is almost two years late, but…

In NYC, you can register your bike at any police precinct. No appointment necessary (or possible…), just bring your bike in and ask at the front desk. If you have proof of purchase, bring it with you along with your own ID. NYPD will record information about the bike and put on an anti-theft sticker which leaves a visible mark even when removed.

Best to go in the middle of the day but not around lunchtime, as otherwise you might be asked to come back another time or have to wait a long time before someone at the precinct can assist you.

56. BillyH says:

That is a good idea. I like how the police engrave the label on. However, I would also pay $10 and join the National Bike Registry. If you just do the NYC precinct label, they will just check their local database. Even though the National Bike Registry tamperproof label isn’t as good as the NYC engraved label, it is in a huge national database. Even if the National Bike Registry label is removed, your account and the serial number is still in their database so you can still get your bike back even without a label. Police have a ton of stolen bikes but they can’t find the owner. I even put on a small fake gps sticker that I bought for cheap on ebay. The sticker says that I have a hidden gps, cellular transmitter and electronic lock. I don’t really have a gps but I do have a bully alarm lock with “cellular transmitter” pager that alerts me when someone tampers with the bully lock. I also have an 120db alarm hidden on my bike as well.

57. david george says:

save your dollars,,out with the eurotrash,,my new lock is ready for production ,,a ulock weighs 2.5 lbs–specs—doesn’t grind anywhere,no boltcut,no freeze doesn’t cut with a acy or plasma arc torch,no drill ,no pick,no jack,twist,bends without breaking,i think this covers it all,will cost way less then the kryptojunk—so who gets to test this first?,david

58. Andy says:

I’m a big fan of all the Kryptonite locks. I have the New York and it’s probably overkill for where I live. Paired with the U-Lock Holster.