CygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleBionX: Electrify Your BikeBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling Gear

No Bikes Allowed — and Thank Goodness

by Ted Johnson

For the next several days, I’ll be away from the Internet, and in a place where bikes are not allowed.

I’ll be backpacking in the Grand Canyon, on foot, from the North Rim to the South Rim.

Grand Canyon Bike Sign

Image: Minette Layne (flickr)

Bikes are allowed at the Grand Canyon, but only up on the rim and on roads. Below the rim, and on trails: Sorry. No Bikes.

Just in case anyone might have thought that I wanted the wilderness to be an open playground for all kinds of bikes, let me say that I’m happy that bikes are prohibited where I’m going. Now if they can just do something about those nasty mules.

See? I can be a purist too.

For those keeping score, this will be my second non-cycling getaway this summer.

See you next week.

7 Responses to “No Bikes Allowed — and Thank Goodness”

1. JohnnyK says:

I don’t think I would go on a vacation where bikes are not allowed. Why don’t you get a foldable and carry it in areas where you can only hike? Also Mules can be very good friends. I don’t understand why you would say they are nasty? They can be like a big dog.

2. Tom Bowden says:

I rode past the Grand Canyon once in 1994 – I know this because I saw the sign that said “Grand Canyon – next left” People have told me it’s really beautiful. I guess that’s why there was a sign. Too bad I was on some crazy cross country bike race at the time and did not have the luxury of stopping. Maybe next time.

By the way – how can we be sure Ted is at the Grand Canyon – Isn’t this him with his Dahon at 2:57? http://www.vimeo.com/29401217 I think he shaved his head to go incognito. Busted! Great video, in spite of the casting.

3. BluesCat says:

When I lived in Flagstaff, I used to hike The Canyon an average of twice a year.

I hated running into the mules coming the other direction: the mule bosses at the time were real Nazis about making you stand on the OUTSIDE of the path, staring down hundreds of feet into The Canyon just inches from the edge of the path.

4. BluesCat says:

… And sometimes I’d have one of those suckers passing me — laboring under the weight of some fat broad who I KNOW was WAY over the maximum of 225 lbs/102 kg — and the poor critter would stumble on a rock, sway towards me and I could hear the sweet angels calling!

5. BluesCat says:

I see that they have changed that now, or maybe it has always been the case in reality, that now hikers stand on the INSIDE of the path when the mules pass.

6. Ted Johnson says:

Down at Phantom Ranch, at the bottom of the canyon, my legs were so sore…

They should have a bike share program down there with a couple of heavy single-speed, fat-tire cruisers for people to use just to get around the campground while their legs recover. The campground is only about a half-mile long. Nobody would ever steal the bikes.

Nah.

7. BluesCat says:

A buddy of mine works for The Feds, and with all the concessionaires at The Canyon. Maybe I should chat with him about Canyon Bottom Bikes, eh?