CygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineCommuter Bike Store Fuji CambridgeMiiR Bottles one4oneRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBionX: Electrify Your BikeUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and Accessories

Fyxation Session 700 Tires vs. A Mild NYC Winter

by Vanessa Marie Robinson

Vanessa Marie RobinsonVanessa Marie Robinson is a Brooklyn-based industrial designer who’s blog For The Love Of Bikes covers her multifaceted interests in all things cycling. She is typically found either riding in the city on a single-speed or training upstate on her road bike — year-round!

Last November I began bracing myself for some harsh winter weather and was eager to test out Fyxation’s Session 700™ tires on rough commutes. Lo and behold, this has been a mild winter in NYC with only a couple light snowfalls to date.

Fyxation Session Tires vs. A Mild NYC WinterI did at least manage to ride in some precipitation in the past few weeks and my impression was that tires these are strong and durable. They are functional city tires, not racing tires and not large knobby mountain biking tires, built to last on pavement, not ultra lightweight racing tires nor oversized knobby mountain biking tires.

The Session 700′s integrate Kevlar™ puncture protection and deep tread that envelopes the tire bead-to-bead.

They come in seven unique color options including: white, pink, green, brown, orange, and black with white sidewalls. If you have 700×23 wheels you have can opt for either 28c or 35c. I tested out the 28c.

Sure, there are pros and cons with knobby vs. slick tires in the city. While slick tires (with the proper air pressure) repel glass, knobby tires provide a lot of traction and grip on slippery and uneven surfaces.

Fyxation Session Tires

Inside and Out

After a couple weeks riding the Session 700s I ran over a large broken glass bottle going over the Manhattan Bridge to test to see what would happen. I made it home just fine, but the next day there was a slow leak due to a large shard of glass.

It is impossible to say that any tire would have withstood that puncture but felt that the tires did their job by preventing an all out flat and resisting long enough for me to ride home.

Fyxation Session TiresThe drawback I experienced with the Session 700′s was that they are so thick they didn’t stretch much, making them a challenge to put on my rims. On both my Mavic MA3 and Mavis Open Pro rims the tires took a lot of effort to get on. (This may or not be an issue depending on your wheel’s rims.) I also had to be really diligent about checking that the inner tube was not getting pinched before inflating in order to prevent a potential a snake bite puncture. However, once installed they were in place and I was riding with confidence on the roughest NYC streets in both wet and dry conditions.

BOB Trailer Sale

10 Responses to “Fyxation Session 700 Tires vs. A Mild NYC Winter”

1. norm says:

Those look neat. So … were you able to patch the tire after puncturing it? I’ve never had a kevlar-reinforced tire before so I’m not sure if standard repair techniques apply … and can you recommend any similar tires that fit 26″ wheels? Thanks!

2. Brian says:

I’ve been running these year-round in Utah for 2 and a half years now. The only flat I’ve gotten in that time was from the largest goathead thorn I’ve ever seen. They’re great in the rain and snow, and really good on pavement. I’m pretty picky about tires, and these are easily the best I’ve found.

3. These tires look great and are a smart choice for curb and obstacle hopping around city and urban areas. Awesome color range to choose from.

4. Peter says:

How was the traction on the slushy snow?

5. PhatLipMagee says:

@Norm – I have been riding Panaracer RiBMo tires on both of my main bikes for nearly 2 years now. In that time I have ridden upwards of 10,000 miles and I’ve only gotten one puncture flat. They come in quite a variety of sizes, including a few different 26″ versions.

I highly recommend RiBMos to anyone that needs city/commuting tires.

And just to be clear, I’m not dissing Fyxations. I plan on testing a set out very soon. I only offer the RiBMos as an option since Fyxation does not offer a 26″.

6. Julie says:

I have these tires in pink and black and I have had no issues with them. Knock on wood! I love them.

7. Simon says:

While I’ll admit these are rad tires I would like to comment on your comments about them. This has to do with what you said about slick vs. knobby tires. Bike tires don’t have traction like car tires. Look at it like this. Cyclocross racers run their tires at low psi to gain traction by allowing more tire area to contact the ground. knobs work here because they bite into the mud. Now with pavement there is nothing to bite into (the same goes for ice) and unless you have real knobs and lower psi you don’t get nearly as much benefit as you would think. Most of it is just marketing. Any time you add knobs to a tire you make it so less of the tire is contacting the road.

If you don’t believe me you can find this same info from many other sources. Sheldon Brown has a great write up about it.

P.s. The main thing these tires do right over many, is make the tread wrap bead to bead. This uses more rubber and is therefore heavier, one reason why we probably don’t see it often. I personally love the Ribmo’s too, though, I think they would be even better without that clear edge where the tread ends and instead had the tread bead to bead.

8. Vanessa says:

These tires are tough as nails and reliable — so perhaps I’m the only one that had such a hard time putting them on my rims??! I would love to know.

Norm, as for other tires out there that would be in the same level of toughness but work on 26″ wheels… I’ve ridden Continental’s Gator Skins and would recommend them. Another reliable all weather toughy is Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tire — though I don’t think they come in 26″ and are slicker compared to the Fyxations.

v!

9. dygituljunky says:

Vanessa, the toughness seems to be inherent to high protection tires. While I haven’t tried these, in particular, the Continental Tour Plus, Michelin City, Michelin Pilot, and Michelin Pilot City tires are all tough as snot to get onto the rim (in both 26 and 700c sizes).

10. dan says:

These tires are certainly not a smooth ride.