Bike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with CircuitryUtility Cycling - Use Your BicycleChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsCommuter Bike Store Breezer Uptown InfinityBionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4oneCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearPlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and Accessories

Resurrect Your Bike Commute

by Ted Johnson

Today is Easter — for those among us who observe the holiday.

You want to debate the true meaning and origins of Easter? Christian, Pagan, Wiccan… For God’s sake, find another site where you can do it.

Let’s all agree that it’s Spring! Yes, the first official day of Spring was a couple of weeks ago. (That was about the time we had two feed of snow dumped on us where I live. You can still see snow on the peaks in the photo below.) But when Easter comes around, it’s a mental milestone for many of us.

Some of us have continued our bike commute throughout the winter, because we know that it’s about gear and preparation, not heroics.

Colored Egg and Mt. Humphreys

My egg and Mt. Humphreys

But for you fair-weather bike commuters: It’s time. Resurrect your bike commute.

Has your bike been hanging on hooks for the past four months? Get it down, dust it off, pump the tires, test the brakes, lube the chain. Tomorrow is Monday. Let us know how it goes.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

8 Responses to “Resurrect Your Bike Commute”

1. Joel says:

I have been able to commute at least fifteen working days per month since last September. Winter commuting is not for everyone. I love to bike and it was a daily chance to work out and enjoy myself for 30 minutes before and after work.

It is now beautiful out and time for everyone to hit road with their two human powered wheels. Anyone who bikes just one day to work a year makes a difference. Do what you can when you can do it.

I will not mind if my commute home is slowed by high usage of bicycles on the trail.

2. Ray Lovinggood says:

It may be Spring here in the northern hemisphere, but I suppose those that live below the Equator might find that they are in a different season.

3. Steven says:

Rode to work today,. 90 degrees and sunny into work & 59 with a big full moon. Life is good ! : )

4. BluesCat says:

Oh, I dunno, Australia is kinda like central Arizona. The four seasons are Warm, Hot, Really Hot and OMG!

5. Ted Johnson says:

Today a receptionist saw me holding my bike helmet, and she said, “The weather is getting really nice for riding a bike.”

And I replied, “It’s always good weather for riding a bike.”

“It’s supposed to snow again on Friday.”

“No! I don’t want to hear that!”

In five seconds I went from all-weather bike advocate to the wuss cyclist who dreads snow.

The weather forecast for Flagstaff says nothing about snow on Friday.

Was she messing with me?

6. BluesCat says:

Hey, Ted – As far as your receptionist’s prediction goes, it may help to consider the source and remember …

BluesCat’s 2nd Law of the Universe
    Doomsday warnings are mostly propagated by those who don’t even know how their DAY is going to end.

7. Tim Sherman says:

Why do snow plows throw the snow in the bike lanes and on the sidewalks?
    In Seattle we now have to choose until July 4th. Do we wear rain gear and sweat or just ride wet and cool. I know that the week after the 4th of July I can take off my fenders until the 2nd week of October. It sure is nice to commute to work and home in the daylight. Now I just have to hang in there until the “Big Grey Wet Thing” goes away for the summer.