Commuter Bike Store Breezer Greenway DX Hybrid Bike 24 Speed - 2011 ModelOrtlieb Bike Bags & PanniersElectric Bike ReportCygoLite Bike Lights: Engineered to ShineBionX: Electrify Your BikeMiiR Bottles one4onePlanet Bike: Better bike products for a better worldRideKick Electric Powered Bike TrailerBanjo Brothers Affordable Cycling GearChrome Bike Backpacks and Messenger BagsXtracycle Bike Cargo Kits, Parts and AccessoriesBike Tech Shop - The Experts on Cycling with Circuitry

ESGE Kickstand: Two Legs Work Better Than One

by BluesCat

As I have said before, I am a Jedi Master of Sloth. Laziness is one of the few things to which I can claim Gold Medal Caliber. As a result, I must develop strategies which will allow me to avoid the dirtiest word in the English language: work.

On my main commuter bike I replaced the single-rail rear rack with a dual-rail rack (similar to the Tubos Logo Evo Rear Rack).

With a single-rail rack, you hook your panniers to the top rail and fasten your rack bag to the top of the rack. To remove the panniers, you must first remove the rack bag. Not only is this more work, but if you have a quick release system on your panniers — such as the QMR system on Vaude bags or the QL1 and QL2 systems on Ortlieb bags — a rack bag on a single-rail rear rack negates the primary advantage of that quick release system.

On a dual-rail rack, you fasten your rack bag to the top and your panniers to a second set of rails below; the quick release on your panniers works without interference and you can sneer into the sweaty face of work.

BluesCat's Giant Yukon with ESGE Kickstand

Giant Yukon with ESGE Kickstand

My backup commuter bicycle is a Giant Yukon mountain bike with a suspension front fork and less pressure in the tires. The tires are an inverted tread design for better traction in inclement weather; they also make for a ride which is comfortable and a nice change of pace. Most of the commuter accessories on this bike duplicate what is on my main commuter, and just recently I put the same model of dual-rail rear rack on it.

One problem: when I plopped my fully loaded Vaude Egger Commuter Pannier onto the left side of the Giant… it promptly tipped over.

Obviously, the standard equipment kickstand wasn’t designed to handle the greater weight and higher center of gravity of the re-purposed mountain bike.

I guess I could have started putting my Vaude pannier on the right side, and that would have worked as long as I didn’t put a bag on the left. But if I did put a bag on the left, I could never quick-release the pannier on the right, otherwise the bike would simply tip over once more.

This was rapidly turning out to be more work than simply getting a better kickstand.

Greenfield Stabilizer Kickstand

Greenfield Stabilizer Kickstand: a leaner

My main commuter bike has a Greenfield Stabilizer Kickstand. The Greenfield works great on that bike. My bags do not threaten to put the bike on the ground, but probably this is because the bike is a recumbent with a lower center of gravity. I wasn’t sure the Greenfield would work on the Giant, for the same reason the original kickstand didn’t work.

I thought about getting the lightweight Upstand Kickstand, but that one is so lightweight I was pretty sure putting the stress of my heavy commuter bags on it would give me the same result as a 500 pound guy trying to pole vault!

One-legged kickstands like the original equipment on the Giant, the Greenfield and the Upstand allow the bike to lean, which is the reason the bike tips over.

Two-legged kickstands, like the one on my A2B Metro E-Bike, hold the bike upright and balanced.

A2B Metro E-Bike Kickstand

A2B Metro E-Bike Kickstand

The A2B kickstand is a beefy, two pronged heavy metal affair made by Ying Cheng of Taiwan. It has several coil springs for movement between the deployed and stowed positions, and has a rectangular metal foot welded to the end of each leg. It probably could be used on motorcycles, and while it supports the heavy A2B solidly it is overkill for a regular bicycle.

I visited my favorite local bike shop and asked them what they had in a light, two-legged kickstand. They brought out the ESGE Double Kickstand.

ESGE Double Kickstand

ESGE Double Kickstand, deployed

The ESGE is made of aluminum, and fits in the same area — just behind the bottom bracket — as the regular kickstand. The two legs rotate together as they move from the deployed position to the stowed position, and nest neatly right under the left chain stay of the bike in the same location as the standard kickstand.

ESGE Double Kickstand, stowed

ESGE Double Kickstand, stowed

I’ve heard that some people have a problem with mounting the ESGE because the bolt is too short for their particular bicycle. It was just the opposite with my bike: the bolt was so long that it bottomed out inside the lower part of the ESGE before the clamp had a firm grip on the bike frame. Luckily, ESGE uses a mounting bolt with the same size threads as regular kickstands; I used the shorter bolt which came with my original kickstand and the ESGE secured just fine.

One note about tightening down that bolt: you don’t really need to cinch it down all that hard. The mounting clamps pinch the bike frame between them, and only need to be tight enough to keep the bike from wobbling in the clamp jaws. Torquing the bolt down too hard could bend an aluminum bike frame, so don’t do it. (Tip: All bike kickstands that I have used have loosened up over time; a little dab of Loctite will keep that from happening.)

With the ESGE Double down, the front tire of my bike is raised almost three inches off the ground. While this may be objectionable to some, I don’t mind it. There are marks on the legs which allow for them to be cut shorter, but I’m not going to do it. My theory is that the longer the legs are, the wider the stance will be and the more stable the bike will be.

Naturally, when the front wheel is raised up, it will flop over to one side. I will push the wheel over to the side of the bike opposite the to the one on which I’m working. If I’m going to be putting a bag on the left side first, I’ll push the wheel over to the right. If I move over to put a bag on the right side I’ll shove the front wheel over to the left. Doing it this way, I think the weight is equalized better on the bike.

Even though the ESGE is pretty stable when using it with panniers and other bags, I’m not sure I’d recommend it as stable enough for use with a bike mounted kid’s seat like the Yepp Maxi Bike Child Seat. The higher center of gravity which is created when using those types of seats would make the bike far too tippy for the ESGE. If you’re going use a child seat on a regular bike like my mountain bike, I recommend looking into getting a genuine cargo bike kickstand.

Or, if you’re going to ride with little kids as active as my granddaughters, you might just use a two-wheeled bike trailer instead and avoid the hassle of explaining to the hospital staff, and Child Protective Services, why that little one has a concussion as a result of hitting the pavement while sitting in the back seat of your bicycle.

Can you imagine how much work that would be?!?

The ESGE Double Kickstand sells retail for $54.99 US

BluesCatBluesCat is a resident of Phoenix, Arizona, who originally returned to bicycling in 2002 in order to help his son get the Boy Scout Cycling merit badge. His bikes sat idle until the summer of 2008 when gas prices spiked at over $4.00 per gallon. Since then, he has become active cycling, day-touring, commuting by bike, blogging (azbluescat.blogspot.com) and giving grief to the forum editors in the on-line cycling community.

The Chariot Summer Sale - 2013

10 Responses to “ESGE Kickstand: Two Legs Work Better Than One”

1. Dr. M says:

I had a dual kickstand like this on my Italian Moped in college. Heavier than any bicycle, (even with loaded panniers), it needed it. You could stand on the pedals to pop start the moped.
    I think this would be good for cargo bikes, especially when you are trying to load it. However the single kickstand I use on my touring bike is adequate even when it’s fully loaded. Good review!

2. Michael says:

Your OEM bolt bottomed out? My bolt was too short, but my chain stays are stupid thick (Comotion Americano).

One thing that must be done to prevent the bolt seizing in the kickstand, use nautical anti-seize compound. Aluminum kickstand, steel bolt, add road salt and in the Spring the bolt will shear off when you try to move it. That ESGE is still sitting in my tool box as a reminder. The replacement is doing fine.

• Ted Johnson says:

With the exception of two dropout-area kickstands (Greenfield Stabilizer and Upstand), I have always replaced an old kickstand with the new one. And each time, I have transplanted the bolt from the old kickstand to the new kickstand, because the bolt included was too long or too short.

The two-legged Velo Orange kickstand that I installed on my wife’s bike was no exception. One nice thing about the Velo Orange kickstand is that the leg length is adjustable without a hacksaw.

I also installed a Velo Orange Wheel Stabilizer to prevent the wheel-swing factor, which works fine as long as I don’t have anything in my Porteur Rack.

Regarding parking your bike with kids in a bike child seat: Those mega-wide-stance kickstands for cargo bikes, such as the Xtracycle KickBack Kickstand, tend to only work on cargo bikes.

Xtracycle KickBack Kickstand | | Bike Trailer Shop

And some people really do leave their kids strapped in while they run into a store — the same way you might leave your kids in a car for a few minutes.

However, on a regular (non-cargo) bike you just want the bike to stand upright and stable while you are still fussing with getting the kid into the seat. After that, you are stabilizing the bike yourself — with your hands. You kick up the kickstand, continue stabilizing the bike, and then swing your leg over the seat — carefully avoiding kicking your child in the head.

But… You can get two legged kickstands for bikes that are more like that heavy-duty stand on your A2B. For example:

Sunlite Double Kickstand

You still couldn’t leave your bike and kid unattended, but you would be able to mount your bike, and then roll forward to retract the kickstand — something you can’t do with scissor-style double kickstands such as the Velo Orange and the ESGE.

Longest comment ever. Maybe.

3. BluesCat says:

Michael – Thanks for the heads up on the anti-seize compound! In bone-dry Phoenix we get complacent about damage from moisture.

You folks in wetter climes take note!

4. I love my ESGE clone. There are a couple of sites out there that sell these type of stands, and my bolt was too short, for the record…

5. BluesCat says:

Dr. M – Your comment about the single kickstand on your touring bike working for you, even when the bike is fully loaded, got me to thinking …

ALL of my commuting bikes have been either re-purposed mountain bikes … or my recumbent. I kinda think that the kickstands on these bikes are sort of an afterthought: “Well, I suppose MOST of our customers (except for the weight weenies and competitive riders) will want a kickstand. What do we have lying around the factory?”

On a bike coming from the factory with the express purpose of being a “touring bike,” could it be that the single kickstand is considered an important component in the design of the overall bike, and so is selected with the idea that it needs to hold the bike up more vertically?

Dr. M, Does your tourer seem to “stand up straighter” than the guy with the mountain bike?

6. John M. Hammer says:

The ESGE/Pletscher two-leg-but-fold-on-the-non-drive-side kickstands are really terrific. I love two-leg kickstands on recumbents but many of those that simply kick back on both sides of the bike either don’t kick up high enough or the drive-side leg interferes with the chain. These fancy two-leg stands avoid both those problems.

Note that you can get a “deluxe mounting kit” for a few dollars which will protect your chainstays and also allow you to tighten the bolt down quite a bit more firmly. Either with or without it, I recommend some blue Loctite.

See this Amazon entry:
    Pletscher F8 cover plate for double kickstand

You don’t need the cover plate; you get one with the kickstand, and you might even have one on your bike already. But the chain stay supports come with this “cover plate kit” and those are what you need.

BluesCat, if you haven’t tried a two-leg kickstand on Bluetiful, I recommend you do it. It might require a custom mounting bracket to get one of these on an EZ-Sport – the EZ-1, Tour Easy, and many other recumbents have a standard mounting plate but not the EZ-Sport or any Bacchetta or Rans bikes.

7. John M. Hammer says:

O yeah, and try some Plasti-Dip on the ends to get a nice foot on them. They’ll be much less likely to slip on less-flat or very smooth surfaces. There are also plastic or rubber feet available for about $3 a pair but Plasti-Dip provides just as good a tip while being thinner or just as thick as you want with a few extra coats.

8. BluesCat says:

John – Yes, since I got the ESGE for the Giant, I have been seriously thinking about a two-legged kickstand for Bluetiful. Although the Greenfield seems to do an adequate job at this time, it is still a “leaner” and since I’m thinking of adding some accessories which may well raise the center of gravity of the EZ-Sport I may face the same falling-over problem.

And thanks for reminding me about Plasti Dip! My wife refuses to allow me to park any bike in the remodeled area of our house which has the new floor tile; some Plasti Dip on the sharp kickstand leg ends would be perfect to satisfy her concerns.

For those unfamiliar with Plasti Dip, it is just what the name says: a rubberized/plasticized dipping sauce for metal parts to protect them (and things they come into contact with) from rust, corrosion and scratches.

You can get it at almost any hardware store, and some auto parts stores, and you can colorize it to somewhat match the paint on your bike so you can brush it on your frame in the key areas where your locking chain or U-lock is going to contact it.

9. simone says:

the best kickstand it’s ursus jumbo.
    page components